Skip to content

Scheduling Division FAQs


Can you tell me if a certain class will be offered in a future term?

Before the schedule is published online, Scheduling does not release class information for a future semester. Students can contact the department offering the course if you have inquiries before the information is available online.

Can you tell me where and when my final exam will be held?

Final exams are generally held in the classroom the course has met in during the semester, unless the final needs to be arranged by the instructor. Refer to the online Final Exam Schedule for exam times, and always verify with the instructor.

Can you tell me what class to take to fulfill a general education or major requirement?

For information regarding general requirements, students can search the online class schedule under the "Gen Ed & Bachelor Degree Courses" or "Class Schedule Search" links. You can also contact the Academic Advising Center (581-8146) to receive this information. For major requirements, contact your major advisor for specific degree requirements.

What do I need to do to schedule a room for an event?

Students must fill out a Special Event Application Form with the Scheduling Division. This application must be approved by various agencies on campus, such as Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety, and will therefore take approximately 5 business days to complete. After the event has been approved, students are required to sign a contract to finalize the process.

How much do you charge to rent a room?

Rooms are free for ASUU groups to use unless you are collecting money. This includes an admission fee or a request for donations. If you are accepting money, you are charged an hourly rate based on the size of the room. Additional charges may be assessed if your group is using media equipment, custodial services, or security officers.


Can I make changes to my class, including time, capacity, classroom, or title?

All class changes must come from the Scheduling Division's designated department contacts. If you do not know who the designated department contact is, please call the Scheduling Office at 581-7854. Changes will not reflect online until the following day.

Can I change the day of my final exam?

Most classes have a designated exam time reflected on the online final exam schedule and all finals should be held during the scheduled exam time. If an exception is requested, the department chair must send a signed memo to the Scheduling Division for your class. The department must also provide an alternate time that students can take the exam if they are unable to attend the new exam time. This applies to finals held outside of finals week, as well as changing the day or time within finals week.

My class ended yesterday, but the system will not allow me to post grades. Can you help?

Generally this problem occurs when instructor names or class dates are listed incorrectly. The Scheduling Division (581-7854) can verify that the class dates and primary instructor names are listed correctly on the schedule. If any information is incorrect, the department contact will need to update that information with Scheduling. Instructor changes require a signature from the department chair. All changes made to the system will take overnight to refresh before you can log in to post grades.


When will we receive the proof?

Planner proofs are sent out several months before the schedule goes online. Official proofs are emailed approximately 6-8 weeks before the schedule goes online. Deadlines are posted on the Scheduling Division website. It is recommended that you check these dates periodically because they are subject to change.

Can you tell me what rooms are available for a certain meeting pattern?

The Scheduling Division can check available rooms if you have a meeting pattern and capacity in mind. Also, anyone can check available space online on the "Space Viewer" found on the Scheduling Division website. Call Scheduling (581-7854) to verify availability and to reserve the room.

Can we schedule any classes at non-standard times?

Graduate level classes meeting in department space can hold class at non-standard times. If the class meets in general assignment space, or if it is an undergraduate/graduate combined course, a Standard Time Exception form must be submitted to Scheduling on letterhead with the department chair's signature. A committee meets periodically to review the exceptions to policy. Departments will be notified by phone or email of the committee's decision.

Can we request a specific room for a class for a future term?

The Scheduling Division tries to find appropriate, convenient space for all departments. Requests are taken into account, though we cannot guarantee the space will be available.

How do I get the class numbers if classes are suppressed from the web?

The Scheduling Division will send departments an "Enrollment Restriction Report" approximately three (3) weeks before students can register for classes.  This lists all suppressed classes with department or instructor consent.  If classes are added after the report is run, we list the class number on all email confirmations.  Only department contacts can request class numbers from Scheduling.  Class numbers can also be looked up in PeopleSoft for those with appropriate access.


There is a lecture being held on campus today. Can you tell me when and where it will be held?

If the event is held outside of general assignment space, Scheduling may not have this information. Check the Calendar of Events on the main university webpage to see if the event is posted. Union Scheduling (581-7251) or the department sponsoring the lecture, are also great resources.

I need a facility for a performance, with a stage and seats for several hundred people. What can you recommend?

The only general assignment space we have that has an actual stage is the FMAB (Film and Media Arts Building) Auditorium, capacity of 416.  Contact Scheduling (581-7854) with details of your event and Scheduling will try to accommodate your request. The Marriott Center for Dance, Kingsbury Hall, David Gardner Hall, or Pioneer Memorial Theater are alternate venues for your event.

I am organizing a conference for a large group of people. We need a place to stay, food provided, and meeting rooms. Can you help me with that?

Contact Conference & Event Services (801-587-2989). Conference & Event Services can arrange all the details of your conference and be a liaison with other campus departments. If you do not need food provided or a place to stay, Scheduling can provide space for your conference.

I want to set up tables around campus to advertise for my company's summer internships. Can you help me with this?

Any non-university or commercial group that wants to come to campus to solicit or advertise must contact Union Scheduling (581-7251). The Union and the Union Patio Lawn are the only locations on main campus that can be used for this type of event. You can also try contacting Career Services (581-6186) to see if they could help accommodate your request through a sponsorship.

How do I schedule banner poles?

Banner poles may only be scheduled by groups or departments advertising for university events and information. Commercial advertising is not allowed. Groups requesting banner poles must submit the "Reservation Request" found on the Scheduling website under the "Banner Pole" link. Groups can schedule up to three banner poles for two weeks per event.


201 S. 1460 E., Room 40
Salt Lake City, UT 84112

Phone: (801) 581-7854

Office Hours

Mon 8am-5pm
Tue 10am-5pm
Wed 8am-5pm
Thu 8am-5pm
Fri 8am-5pm

Last Updated: 4/22/22