Skip to content

Gender & Sexual Identity in CIS Self-Service

Updating My Information on the Self-Service Page in CIS

All University of Utah students have the option to voluntarily self-identify information pertaining to their identity and personal information through CIS. As of March 2021, gender identity and sexual identity have been added to the options that students may choose to update in this self-service page. As of Fall 2020, all undergraduate students who have completed these questions in the supplemental application for admissions will automatically see the gender identity and sexual identity updated in the self-service page upon time of enrollment. Students may return to this page to change this information at any point during their time enrolled at the university.

This data is private and will be used to better understand our student population and to support retention efforts. See below for more details about the gender and sexuality questions on the self-service page.

How do I update information about my gender identity and/or sexual identity in the CIS self-service page?

  1. Login to CIS and then go to the Student Homepage tile
  2. Go to Personal Details and click the Biographic Tab
  3. Click the field you wish to update
  4. Enter your gender identity, as you identify and/or sexual orientation
  5. Click the save button

 Why is the University of Utah collecting information about gender identity and sexual identity ?

Collecting data on the gender and sexual identities of students will help the University better understand how we recruit, retain, and graduate students of diverse identities. Without this information, we cannot currently answer questions such as “How many students in the incoming class identify as LGBTQIA+?” or “How are students identifying and what trends are we seeing amongst our student population?” or “How do the graduation rates of LGBTQIA+ students compare to their cisgender and/or heterosexual peers?”

By giving students a way to opt-into sharing information about their identity, the university can have more accurate information about the student body. The goal is to use this data to inform resources, programs, and policies that support our diverse campus.

How are the questions worded in the supplemental application for admission?

The University of Utah Common Application for Admission (undergraduate application) has a supplemental application to collect optional, personal information about students. This data is meant to support the recruitment, enrollment, and retention of diverse student populations. The answers to these questions will remain private and have no bearing on a prospective student’s application for admission

Gender Identity:

I identify as:

Sexual Identity:

Agender Cisgender Asexual
Genderqueer Non-binary Bisexual
Gender Fluid Not Sure Gay
Man Prefer not to say Heterosexual
Non-Binary Transgender Lesbian
Not listed   Not Listed
Prefer not to say   Prefer not to say
Questioning   Pansexual
Woman   Queer

Who are the authorized campus officials who have access to this data?

The Office of the Registrar will be the office that houses this data and only authorize release of non identifiable aggregate data to authorized staff. 

How will this information be used?

Select, authorized staff at the university will use this information to analyze the recruitment, retention, and graduation of students across different gender and sexual identities. No individual data relating to how a student identifies will ever be shared in reports or in any public format.

The goal of this analysis is to better understand any gaps in student success along lines of gender and sexuality. This could lead to an increase of support resources and programs to address potential gaps. Furthermore, this data will give us a more accurate picture of how our student body identifies than demographic data collection at the university has allowed up to this point.

Will anyone contact me about this information if I chose to self-identify information about gender identity and/or sexual identity ?

No. This information will only be used to better understand the makeup of our student body. No one will contact a student based on how they answer these 3 questions about gender and sexuality in the self-service page. It may be possible in the future that a separate question would be added for those who want to be contacted about resources at the university.

Who should complete these questions about gender and sexuality self-service page?

Everyone who is comfortable doing so! The objective of these questions on the self-service page is to better understand who is enrolled at the U. Regardless of identity, all students are encouraged to answer these optional, private questions on the self-service page.

What if I am just beginning to understand my gender identity and/or sexual identity ?

That is ok. This is just meant to be a snapshot of how students identify at a given time. We would encourage you to complete the questions you best you can, including making use of the write-in areas if you don’t see an option that best describes you.

What if I need to change this information in the future? How often can I change my gender identity or sexual identity in the self-service page?

Students may update the self-service page as many times as they like over the course of their enrollment at the university.

If I update my gender on the self-service page, will it be reflected in my gender marker in my official university record? 

No. This page is meant to collect more accurate information about gender identity than what is currently available as options for a gender marker in a student’s official university record (current options are “male” or “female”). If student wants to update their gender marker at the university, they must complete a Change of Personal Information Form and supply required documentation. More instructions can be found on the Office of Registrar’s website.

Is this available for faculty and staff?

The university currently collects limited information about gender from faculty and staff (options at present are “male” or “female”) and it does not currently collect information about sexual identity from faculty and staff. For any questions about how the university collects demographic information about faculty and staff, contact Human Resources.

What about updating my name and gender marker at the university?

If a student wants to update their legal name or gender marker in their official university record, they must complete a Change of Personal Information Form and supply required documentation. More instructions can be found on the Office of Registrar’s website.

However, if a student does not want to or is unable to update their legal name, they have the option of updating a chosen/preferred name that will be displayed in some systems at the university. See more information about students updating chosen name/preferred here. For more information about updating chosen/preferred name on campus, see the LGBT Resource Center’s website.

If you are faculty or staff and wish to update your chosen name/preferred name, see more on Human Resources’ website.

Can I update information about my pronouns in CIS?

At this time, students cannot share their pronouns via CIS. If a student has questions about ways to share pronouns with professors or others, the staff at the LGBT Resource Center is happy to talk more.

Last Updated: 8/25/21