Students may officially withdraw (W) from a class or all classes after the drop deadline. A “W” grade is recorded on the transcript and appropriate tuition/fees are assessed. The grade of "W" is not used in calculating the student's GPA.
See the Academic Calendar for term, first and second session classes. Contact the Registration & Records Division at (801) 581-8969 for withdraw deadline information for miscellaneous session classes.
Withdrawing Through the Midpoint
The day after the drop deadline and continuing through the midpoint students may withdraw from a class or the university without instructor or department permission.
How to withdraw:
- Students can withdraw online by logging into Campus Information Services and click on “Drop Class” under the Registration heading.
- Students enrolled in miscellaneous classes for credit should contact the Registration & Records Division through UMail.
- Students enrolled in noncredit classes should contact the Continuing Education Office.
Withdrawing After the Midpoint
After the midpoint of the term, students may petition the deadline for withdrawal if they have a nonacademic emergency. The Petition for Consideration of Exception to the Withdrawal Policy form may be obtained from the appropriate dean's office. Submit the petition and supporting documentation to the dean's office by the last day of class for the course.
- Students with declared majors apply to the office of the dean of their academic college.
- Undeclared, non-matriculated and pre-major students apply to the University College.