Privacy Rights / Student Directory Information

Student records at the University of Utah are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The following is a description of the rights of students and their parents under these regulations.

The act extends to students and former students of the University the "right to inspect and review" their educational records. Educational records do not include notes and records held privately by faculty and other academic staff.

The Act forbids the University from releasing personal identifiable student educational records or files, or personal information contained in those files, without the student's written consent, except in specified situations. The University has established procedures for granting a student's request for access to his/her records within a reasonable time (no more than 45 days).

Requesting Access to Your Records

Present your identification and a signed, formal written request to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs determines the existence, location and status of the records to which access is sought. Notification is given within 10 days regarding when the records will be made available for inspection. You may request a copy of your educational records. The cost of each copy is $.50 per page. There may be occasions when your record may not be copied, if doing so may compromise another student's or faculty member's privacy. The Vice President for Student Affairs, in consultation with the University attorney, determines the appropriateness of copying a record.

The University may deny access to the following records:

  • Parent's financial statements.
  • Letters of recommendation if you have waived your right of access.
  • Records filed before January 1, 1975.
  • Records connected with denied applications to attend the University of Utah.
  • Records not included in the FERPA definition of educational records.

Disclosure Information

The University discloses information from a student's educational records only with the student's written consent, except

  • To school officials with a legitimate educational interest in the records. A school official is defined as someone employed by the University of Utah in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position; a member of the University's Board of Trustees or the Utah State Board of Regents; or a person employed by or under contract to the University to perform a special task, such as an attorney, auditor or collection agency. The university may forward educational records to other educational institutions when a student seeks to enroll or is enrolled.

    A school official has a legitimate educational interest if that official is performing a task that is specified in his/her position description (or by a contract agreement) or is related to a student's education or to the discipline of a student. The official may also be providing a service or benefit to the student or student's family, such as health care, counseling, job placement or financial aid.
  • To officials of another school in which a student seeks enrollment.
  • To officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General and state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs.
  • In connection with a student's request for financial aid (to determine the student's eligibility or the amount/conditions of aid, or to enforce terms or conditions of the aid).
  • If disclosure is required by a state law adopted before FERPA (November 19, 1974), which therefore supersedes FERPA.
  • To organizations conducting certain studies on behalf of the University.
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions.
  • To parents who claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • To a parent, partner or other individual holding Power of Attorney that authorizes access to educational records.
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. The University makes a reasonable effort to notify the student of the order or subpoena in advance of compliance.
  • To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency.

Consent to Release

The University of Utah Registrar's Office has an online Consent to Release Form located securely within the Campus Information System that can be completed by students. To access the form, you may log into your CIS account and find the "FERPA Release Consent" link located in the Student Records box.

Directory Information

Directory information is considered to be public information unless you request that it be kept confidential. Directory Information includes:

  • Student's name, address, or telephone number
  • Student ID number
  • Class standing
  • Field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities or sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended
  • Email address
  • Enrollment status
  • Photograph

The information listed above is considered public information; however, the university does not release lists of students or name-and-address labels to businesses or agencies outside the university. Likewise, the university does not release information regarding applicants to outside agencies.

A form is available at the Registration Division, Student Services Building, second floor, or may be completed online through the Campus Information Services to request the nondisclosure of Directory Information. Ten working days are required to implement this request once the form is received by the Registration Division.

Requesting an Amendment to Your Records

You have the right to request an amendment to your records if you believe they are inaccurate, misleading or in violation of your privacy rights.

  • Submit a signed, formally written request to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The written request should identify the portion of the record you want amended and reasons why you believe the record is inaccurate, misleading or in violation of your privacy or other rights.
  • If your request is denied, the University notifies you of your right to a hearing to challenge the decision.
  • The University schedules a hearing and notifies you of the date, place and time.
  • You are given full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to issues raised in the original amendment request. You may be assisted by one or more individuals, including an attorney.
  • The University prepares a written decision that includes a summary of the evidence presented and reasons for the decision.
  • If the University decides the information in the record cannot be changed, you are notified that you can place a statement in your record to set forth your reasons for disagreement with the decision.
  • If the University decides that the information is inaccurate, misleading or in violation of your right of privacy, the University will amend the record and notify you, in writing, of such action.

FERPA Violations

If you believe that your FERPA rights have been violated, you may file a written complaint with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20202.